OpenCL (Open Computing Language)
The Open Computing Language (OpenCL™) programming model is supported on Altera’s Arria® 10 and Stratix® V FPGA architecture and BittWare’s Arria 10 and Stratix V FPGA hardware, providing incredibly powerful solutions for system acceleration.
What is OpenCL?
The OpenCL (Open Computing Language) standard is the first royalty-free, open standard framework that enables users to write programs that execute across heterogeneous systems including CPUs (Central Processing Units), GPUs (Graphics Processing Units), DSPs (Digital Signal Processors), and FPGAs. It allows the use of a C-based language for developing code across these different platforms.
Developed by the Khronos Group, OpenCL greatly improves speed and responsiveness for many applications.
What Are the Benefits of OpenCL for FPGAs?
- Faster time-to-market using the OpenCL C-based parallel programming language as opposed to low-level hardware description language (HDL).
- Quick design exploration by working at a higher level of design abstraction.
- Easy design re-use by re-targeting existing OpenCL C code to current and future FPGAs.
- Faster design completion by generating an FPGA implementation of OpenCL C code in a single step, bypassing the manual timing closure efforts and implementation of communication interfaces between the FPGA, host, and external memories.
- Increased performance by offloading performance-intensive functions from the host processor to the FPGA.
- Significantly lower power by using the Altera SDK for OpenCL which generates only the logic needed to deliver.
OpenCL Development Tool Workflow
If you’re developing your application using the OpenCL C-based parallel programming language, our OpenCL Developer’s Bundle will get you
- Board Support Package integrates the OpenCL SDK with your BittWare hardware
- Altera OpenCL SDK for OpenCL abstracts traditional FPGA hardware development flow for a faster and higher-level software development flow
- Optionally use the BittWorks II Toolkit to set up your board and access its system monitoring features
BittWare OpenCL Development Tool Workflow
OpenCL Solutions from Altera and BittWare
BittWare is a member of Altera’s Preferred Board Partner Program for OpenCL. BittWare’s S5-PCIe-HQ (S5PH-Q) Altera Stratix® V half-length PCIe COTS board is optimized for the most current Altera device architectures and design software and is supported by Altera’s SDK for OpenCL. The Altera® SDK for OpenCL provides a design environment enabling users to easily implement OpenCL applications on Altera’s FPGAs. Support on the S5PH-Q is available for the Stratix V GXA7, GXAB, GSD5 or GSD8 devices.
BittWare offers deployable COTS FPGA boards that provide superior development productivity and unmatched SWaP (Size, Weight, Power) performance. Our focus on best practices ensures consistent product quality and product performance that is unsurpassed in the industry.
OpenCL Solutions Partners
BittWare integrates products from the companies listed below as a value-added reseller. For information on the products and services available, contact BittWare.
||Professional OpenCL™ programmer training and consulting services for Altera FPGAs.
||OpenCL™ development services.
|Multi-core software OpenCL™ development services.
|OpenCL™ Concierge Design Services from a US company that has helped hundreds of mil, aero and commercial teams accelerate their applications on FPGA.
- Visit http://www.khronos.org/opencl/
- Explore Altera’s Preferred Board Partner Program for OpenCL
- Explore OpenCL for Altera FPGAs: Accelerating Performance and Design Productivity
- Explore BittWare’s S5-PCIe-HQ Altera Stratix® V GX/GS half-length PCIe board
- Explore BittWare’s OpenCL Developer’s Bundle
- Press release: BittWare Expands OpenCL Support for Altera Stratix V FPGAs
- Press release: BittWare Joins Altera Preferred Board Partner Program for OpenCL
- Press release: Altera Opens the World of FPGAs to Software Programmers with Broad Availability of SDK and Off-the-Shelf Boards for OpenCL